|Sweet Potato Praline Pancakes|
- 1 1/4 cups drained Bruce’s Cut Yams
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1/2 cup chopped lightly toasted pecans, plus more for serving
- Pure maple syrup
- Place the yams in the work bowl of a food processor or mini chopper and puree until smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. In a medium bowl, mix together the buttermilk, yam puree, egg yolks, brown sugar, melted butter, and rum.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. In a clean medium bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the pancake batter.
- Fold in the 1/2 cup chopped pecans.
- Spray a griddle or a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium heat.
- Working in batches, pour the batter by 1/3-cupfuls onto the griddle. Cook the pancakes until bubbles start to form on top, about 2 minutes.
- Carefully turn the pancakes over and cook until the bottoms are golden brown, 1-2 minutes more.
- Transfer the pancakes to plates and serve with pure maple syrup and a sprinkle of pecans.