From “Café Degas Cookbook” by Troy Gilbert with Jerry Edgar and Jacques Soulas
- 4 teaspoons cracked coriander
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 teaspoons thyme
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Zest of 2 lemons
- ½ cup olive oil
- 4 pounds Louisiana brown shrimp, skewered
- Fresh Basil Pesto (recipe follows)
- Combine all ingredients except shrimp.
- Brush mixture evenly over skewered shrimp.
- Place on medium-hot grill for no more than 5 minutes, turning once and reapplying marinade.
- Shrimp are done when they turn pink.
- Serve with Fresh Basil Pesto over orzo, rice, basmati, or grits.
Fresh Basil Pesto Ingredients:
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1½ cups olive oil, divided
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup packed fresh basil, stems removed
- 1 cup packed fresh spinach, stems removed
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Fresh Basil Pesto Instructions:
- Place garlic cloves in a blender with ¼ cup olive oil.
- Purée briefly. Add lemon juice and salt.
- Finely chiffonade the basil and add to blender one small handful at a time. Purée.
- Scrape down sides of blender well.
- Continue process until all the basil has been well puréed.
- Add olive oil only as needed to keep the basil moving within the blender.
- If too much oil is added before the basil is thoroughly puréed, the basil will not break down properly.
- Once all basil has been puréed, add fine chiffonade of spinach by small handfuls.
- Add oil as needed, scraping down the sides of the blender.
- Add chopped parsley, Parmesan, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over Marinated Grilled Gulf Shrimp.