- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 450 °F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in buttermilk just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll to 1/2-inch thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter.
- Place 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 to10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Leah Chase, Dooky Chase, New Orleans, LA