Recipe courtesy of Prejean’s Restaurant, Lafayette, LA
- 3 cups flour
- 3 cups peanut oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 3 quarts seafood stock or clam juice
- 2 quarts cold water
- 1 pound crab claw meat
- 6 blue crabs, split in half
- 1 pound peeled shrimp
- Cooked rice
- In a cast iron skillet over medium high heat, roast flour and oil while whisking continuously for about 30 minutes.
- Set aside to cool for next step.
- To a heavy-bottomed stock pot add butter, onion, celery, and bell pepper and saute until vegetables become transparent.
- Then, add all dry spices and continue to saute for 2 minutes.
- Add seafood stock and water. Bring to a boil and stir in desired amount of roux.
- Once you have reached your desired thickness, reduce to a simmer for about 40 mintues.
- Add seafood and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over steamed rice, and make sure there's hot sauce on the table.