Courtesy of Chef Michelle McRaney, Mr. B’s Bistro, New Orleans
- 1 butternut squash, halved lengthwise
- 1 acorn squash, halved lengthwise
- 2 sweet potatoes, pierced with a fork
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- Cooked, crumbled bacon, as garnish
- Blanched, diced Yukon gold potatoes, as garnish
- Blanched, diced sweet potatoes, as garnish
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Arrange squash, cut-sides up, and sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and roast in oven until fork tender, about 1 hour. Scoop out flesh from squash and sweet potatoes.
- In a large pot melt butter over moderate heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes. Add roasted squash, sweet potatoes, stock, salt and pepper and cook 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and puree, being careful of the hot liquid.
- Transfer soup back to pot if not serving immediately, and keep warm. Adjust seasoning. Serve soup garnished with bacon and diced potatoes.