Courtesy of Lisa Talberg, Pollock, Louisiana
- 8 ounces macaroni (about 2 cups)
- 1 (15-ounce) can sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon pecan oil
- Preheat oven to 350º. Cook pasta according to package directions, and drain. Return to pot, and add sweet potatoes
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, salt, and pepper, and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in cream and milk; cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in fontina 1/4 cup at a time. Stir cheese sauce into pasta.
- Transfer macaroni and cheese to a 2-quart baking dish. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan, pecans, and oil; sprinkle over pasta.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.