- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets or 2 10-ounce packages frozen broccoli florets, cooked, drained, and cooled
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 3 cups Cauliflower Purée (recipe follows), heated
- Creole seasoning to taste
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar or Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 large head cauliflower, leaves and stem removed, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup butter or low-fat butter substitute
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup milk, cream, half-and-half, or fat free half-and-half, heated
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Add cauliflower to a large pot, preferably a Dutch oven, and add enough water to cover.
- Set over high heat and bring to a boil. Cook until cauliflower is fork-tender, about 12 minutes.
- Drain thoroughly. Return cauliflower to pot.
- Add butter and blend. Add half the milk or cream and blend.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in a traditional blender.
- Add more milk or cream, blending constantly, until desired texture is reached.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Scatter broccoli florets evenly over bottom of dish.
- Scatter chicken over broccoli. Set aside.
- Heat Cauliflower Puree in a saucepan set over medium heat.
- Add milk or cream to thin to spreading consistency, if too thick.
- Season with Creole seasoning. Pour puree evenly over chicken and broccoli.
- Scatter the shredded cheese evenly over casserole.
- Scatter breadcrumbs evenly over cheese.
- Bake until browned and bubbling, about 30 minutes. exclusively by Louisiana Cookin' magazine.