Courtesy of Marcelle Bienvenue
- 1 (4/5-quart) bottle of bourbon or brandy
- 3 quarts half-and-half
- 4 tablespoons vanilla extract
- simple syrup (recipe follows)
- grated nutmeg
- Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan.
- Boil until the sugar dissolves and liquid becomes slightly thick.
- Cool completely before using.
- Combine the bourbon, half-and-half, and vanilla in a 1-gallon container.
- Add the simple syrup to attain desired sweetness.
- Chill well in the refrigerator.
- Serve in chilled glasses (not over ice) and sprinkle with nutmeg.