- 1 whole yellow onion, peeled
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 to 4 peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 5 pounds squid, fresh or frozen and thawed and thoroughly cleaned (see instructions)
- 1 red onion or 1 sweet onion such as Vidalia, sliced in very thin rings
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring around 3 quarts of water to a boil in a large stock pot.
- Add first 5 ingredients and cook for around 5 minutes or just until squid is soft.
- Drain and allow squid to cool to touch.
- Meanwhile, make dressing by combining red or sweet onion, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
- When squid is cool enough to handle, slice into 1/4-inch rings and place in a bowl, then cover with dressing.
- Allow to marinate in refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours before serving.
How to Clean Squid:
Work in sink. Hold body of squid firmly in one hand; grasp head firmly with other hand; pull head, twisting gently from side to side. Head and contents of body should come away in one piece. Cut tentacles off head; reserve. Discard head and contents of body. Grasp tip of pointed, thin, clear cartilage protruding from body; pull out and discard. Rinse squid under cold running water. Peel off and discard spotted outer membrane. Pull off side fins; reserve. Rinse inside of squid body thoroughly under running water to remove any grit or extraneous matter.