- 1 pint strawberries, hulled
- 1 cup diced seeded watermelon
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Purée the strawberries, watermelon, lemon juice, and sugar together in a blender until smooth.
- Check that the purée has the correct amount of sugar, using the method described below. Add more sugar or juice if necessary.
- Transfer the purée to the canister of an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Keep the sorbet in the freezer until ready to use.
Chef's Tip: Here's a trick to make sure the sorbet mixture has the right amount of sugar: float a clean egg in it (that's right, shell and all). If the egg sinks, add more sugar to your sorbet mixture. You want the egg to float near the surface, with a nickel-sized spot of the egg exposed above the liquid. If it floats more than that, add more juice or water. Then the sorbet mixture is ready to freeze perfectly.
*Recipe provided by Chef John Besh in My New Orleans The Cookbook